Meditation for training the patients in cardiac rehabilitation
The purpose of meditation for training the patients in cardiac rehabilitation is the demand that they can have peace and tranquility.
Meditation is an activity of “being” and not “give”. Meditation, like prayer, is a spiritual practice, while you speak in prayer with God, meditation is God who speaks to you. Meditation is also a form of psychotherapy with the ‘acceptance of the present moment you develop a sense of unity and self acceptance. I want to ask the ‘focus on meditation from a strictly medical, considering what is the physiology of meditation, that the physiological changes of the human body in its practitioners. I bring about an example taken from my work as a cardiologist with the patient lying in ‘clinic which I applied to devices for monitoring blood pressure (MAP), to monitor heart rate and of’ electrocardiogram (Holter), for monitoring of respiration and the concentration of ‘oxygen (oximeter), for the monitoring of’ brain electrical activity (EEG) and skin conductance. I have also channeled a vein from which sampling of blood to be analyzed. Now I lead my patient in a state of meditation through breathing, relaxation, awareness of the present moment. What parameters can detect and measure? The heart rate, the beat that I feel on the wrist, which slows and blood pressure is reduced. I also note the slow rate of breathing and the ‘enhances oxygenation of blood. Also blood tests we can infer a decreased metabolism and increased endorphins, substances that induce relaxation. The skin reduces perspiration. The brain electrical activity changes: it increases the presence of waves called alpha (this is a slow wave, which runs at a frequency of 10 cycles per second, which tends to replace the beta waves, more frequent and more chaotic appearance of the paper ‘EEG, which characterize the state of wakefulness. This is the first in a hemisphere of the brain, both then and later on the graph of the two hemispheres shows signs of sync. From the result of these parameters one can understand the ‘importance of meditation on the physical plane. Drugs that lower the heart rate and blood pressure, beta blockers, are of fundamental importance, in care of ‘hypertension and coronary heart disease. Even the ‘physical training, recommended practice in the prevention and rehabilitation of diseases of the heart, brings bradycardia and hypotension, release of endorphins, so come and meditation should be well used in prevention programs and rehabilitation of heart disease. And ‘As I have frequently mentioned as a speaker at international cardiology conferences. I am convinced that meditation could well replace the ‘physical activity wherever this, because of adverse weather conditions or excessive distance from sports centers, it is difficult to implement. I’m speaking particularly of developing countries in continents such as Asia, Arabia and Africa ‘s where cardiac rehabilitation is struggling to assert itself. And there’s more. A recent study published in Stroke, the journal of the American cardiologists and neurologists, has found that the meditation itself, not accompanied by specific changes in diet and lifestyle, or to be associated ‘use of drugs, is able control the spread of ‘atherosclerosis, ie of’ placing of fat and fibrous material in arterial walls. A research group from the medical faculty of the ‘University of Los Angeles has kept under observation for seven months a group of sixty volunteers, women and men. At baseline, using the ‘Doppler carotid intimal thickness was measured, ie the inner wall of the carotid artery, which normally starts the’ affixing of fat, cholesterol. This thickness is considered medicine an ‘indicator of atherosclerosis in the body and the consequent likelihood of clinical manifestations, such as’ heart attack and the’ stroke. The sixty people were divided into two groups, which followed a healthy dietary laws and the ‘other who had been following a program of transcendental meditation. At the end of seven months has been repeated carotid duplex ultrasound and what was achieved was a reduction in wall thickness, however, not an increase in those who had undergone a program of meditation, but that increase was occurred in those who had followed the appropriate diet.
HOW TO PRACTISE. THE BASE
1) Meditation can be done anywhere, collects in a sitting position, in a quiet place.
2) After having collected the remembered sitting with his hands in his lap, one on top, thumbs facing forward, eyes closed, his head erect and shoulders back, practice it, repeating it three times, an ‘inspiration extended, holding the breath for two to three seconds after the same, then do a ‘prolonged expiration. Following two breaths (inhale, exhale) quiet.
3) Gradually and progressively relaxes the muscles of the head, neck, neck, forehead, relaxes the eyelids, jaw muscles and jaw, now relaxes the muscles of the shoulders, arms and hands, until the tips of the fingers . Please check mentally and relaxes the back muscles, the muscles located along the spine and then relaxes before the pectoral muscles in the chest and abdominal muscles, relaxes the muscles of the sacred hours, the buttocks, the muscles of the legs, calves, muscles of the feet.
4) In this position so relaxed you feel heavy, as if it increased the force of gravity that keeps you in touch with the chair.
5) Concentrate now on the present moment, with everything that goes through your mind, so that you can take awareness and accept without judging, without making any judgments … muscular discomfort you may experience, any thought, noise, odor, any image you it is lodged in your mind and experience the present moment. It is neither good nor bad, it just is, and you must accept it as such, receive him into your awareness that in this way, gradually widens. In this way you become more aware of what happens at that time and increasingly acquires the ability to accept, without judgment.
6) Remain in this state of consciousness as long as you want, trying to stabilize it, so that no distractions may disturb your meditation. Any additional element of potential distraction, any thoughts, discomfort, muscle tension or image comes to your mind, accept it without judgment.
7) After thirty minutes open your eyes and smile.